Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 09/06/2009: no to bullfighting

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 09/06/2009: no to bullfighting
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 19:16:58 +0200
Hi Nathan and all,

> From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> They speak standard Spanish, i.e. Castellano. Alicante is not part of
> Catalonia, but Comunitat Valenciana, with its own rarely used
> language, as I explained in the other post.

It definitely seems artificial to me. In fact, it's basically the very same
language as Catalan -- you may check at the Spanish Post web, which is
available in the five official languages of Spain... Most pages are EXACTLY
the same in Valenciano (Valencià) as in Catalan (Català).

Well, I have spotted one with a few differences... check <
http://www.correos.es/comun/informacionCorporativa/1000-presentacion.asp>
and click on the links at the bottom to change the language. The only
differences I see are:

"servici" instead of "servei" (services)
"perseguix" instead of "persegueix" (pursues)
"esta" instead of "aquesta" (this -- although there's an "aquesta" in the
same page in Valenciano)

In contrast, when I am in Barcelona, I often do overhear people
> speaking Catalan. It is much more of a living language.

There are some people (not everyone, of course) _unwilling_ to speak
Spanish, even if they are spoken to in that language...

PS: No bullfighting for me, neither.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)