Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:25:17 -0400
On Jun 13, 2009, at 1:47 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> We have lots of rotondas here in Alicante as well. The only other
> place I know with as many roundabouts as we have here are smaller
> English towns and villages.

They abound in New England, too. And people mostly hate them. Not me,
though. I love to come up on an undiscovered rotary/roundabout/
rotonda. One of my desires in life is to rent a car and do the big 11-
late circle in Paris. (I think it's 11 lanes. Around the Arc de
Triomphe? Rue de Presbourg?)

It will also be a kick to rent a car in the UK and do roundabouts
"backwards." My wife gets a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach
when I talk about that. She knows likely as not, she'll be in the car
with me. I know, I know, it's a sign of advancing age when the big
thrills you look forward to are driving strange roundabouts. <g>

FWIW, Australian Karen, the voice of my GPS, calls them roundabouts.
There's one on Mt. Desert Island.

And Chris, a word for the GPS . . . I found using maps and such, my
secret spot on Mt. Desert. It took some time, a lot of mental effort,
and not a little bit of serendipity. The roads and streets on Mt.
Desert are nothing if not convoluted. But once I found it, I entered
it into the GPS and I could then fly there from anywhere on the
island. Same with several other locations. Not to mention at one point
on a one-way road I passed the entrance to the Mt. Cadillac road, and
then decided I wanted to go up there, and Karen guided me flawlessly
through a series of turns on small, unmarked roads, and the next thing
I knew I was climbing the mountain. They'll get my GPS when they pry
it out of my cold, dead fingers. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com