Re: [OM] GPS suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS suggestions
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:26:25 -0400
On Jun 13, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> And to make it easier still, English drivers are the most civilized
> and curteous ones I have encountered in any country so far.

I can't dispute this, but I wonder if it includes urban drivers, such
as those who motor in and around London? I noticed when walking places
that the local drivers seemed to enjoy rushing right up to the
crosswalk or traffic signal and stopping at the last possible moment.
I feared for my life the first day or so, until I sussed the rhythm.
Of course it's not really discourteous to do so, but it is a little
disconcerting to pedestrian traffic unused to the practice. But I'm
sure courteous doesn't include London bus drivers, who have a knack of
knowing exactly when the most number of people are 1) still on their
feet; and 2) not holding onto anything. Said drivers then lunge away
from the bus stop at maximum acceleration. I don't think I was thrown
into more than two laps before I figured this one out. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com