Re: [OM] reasonably priced 3Ti 270400363196 you know where

Subject: Re: [OM] reasonably priced 3Ti 270400363196 you know where
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:22:36 -0500
OMLS wrote:

> Two pains, one seeing it not be used the other from seeing it go.
> The two pains can conflict, and rather than see it gather dust
> the passion takes over and he let it go - I imagine.

One of the things I've tried to understand through the years is "lost
passion". How can a person eat and breathe something--they just have to have
it to make their life complete and then after a while it has gathered dust
or worse yet an apathy develops towards it.  It can be a car, a camera,
computer, but most often relationships with others. "Passion" and "madly in
love" are not too far separated.

I've always been a believer in "sweat investment". This is based on the
principle of "You appreciate more, that which you invested hard work in to
get."  But I've been corrected on that. I appreciate more that which has
been entrusted in me for a purpose. For example:

I did not "buy" my children. My personal religious ethos is that children
have been entrusted to me and my wife and we have the expressed and implied
responsibility to raise them to a certain standard and prepare them for
life.  I'm sitting here at a conference center right now, typing on my work
laptop as I'm on call this morning and had a support call to take care of.
But why I'm here is because my younger daughter was getting a top award for
a major achievement. Last year, my older daughter accomplished the same
task. It brings tears to the eyes when you see your children get recognized
for this.  But it brings even more pride and appreciation when you see the
other kids gather around yours because yours have reached out in love to the
other kids and they feel welcome and loved.

But I digress.

The parallel here is that I've bought MUCH equipment through the years. Some
stuff I appreciate more than others, and I've sold MUCH equipment through
the years too. But what is it I appreciate most and have the greatest
passion to use?  It's the stuff which has been given and loaned to me. This
is an investment in my art, passion and indirectly to the photography of
certain organizations or events.  (T45 used this morning for just this
purpose). I have a responsibility with this equipment, just as I have a
responsibility with my own children, to use it, develop it, invest it in
others.

AG