Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Storage on the Road
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:56:34 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> What Moose said.
>
> His comments about file system trickery with the A650 are proper FAT16 and
> FAT32 behavior but depends on the camera having a proper and full
> implementation... something I'd check before trusting.

Well, of course. I tested, it worked, and continues to do so. I wouldn't
do it with another camera without testing.

> FAT16's normal limits are 2GB except on Windows NT

And Vista and some Canon cameras.

> ....  Also, your computer knows nothing of the specially named folders that
> are supposed to be on the card and are created by formatting in the camera.

If you use the software for the camera, it should know that stuff, mine
does. And if you look at the card contents, it's pretty obvious. On my
Fujis and Canons, the only directory structure they seem to pay any
attention to is the first level subdirectory DCIM
(DigatalCameraImageManagement?) and its subdirectories that use the
manufacturer's naming conventions.

I've never found formatting is required by Canon's camera OS. When I
open a new card, I just stick it in and start shooting. The camera
creates the needed directory structure if it isn't already there. I know
I've put data on a card with images on it too. The camera just ignores
them, other than their effect of capacity. I haven't reformatted a card
in ages. I just don't see the point or need.

I just tried it with an SDHC card in the A650. I took a card which has
never been in a camera, nor formatted since I got it. I've used it as a
temporary back-up for an old notebook, so it has over 2GB of multilevel
directories, data, programs, OS, etc. on it. I put it in the camera,
turned it on and it showed the number of images for which space
remained. Took it out and checked - no change to the card. Put it back
in, took a picture, took it out and checked. There is now the DCIM
sub-directory with a 100CANON subdirectory under it with the image I
just took in it.

I don't know about other makers, but the Canon storage card handler is
not in the least delicate or fussy. Early xD card Oly P&Ss are the opposite.

Moose