Re: [OM] Rescue Pro software

Subject: Re: [OM] Rescue Pro software
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 19:53:18 -0400
You've mentioned this hypothetical last image delete before and I think
I agreed that it's harmless.  However, on further reflection, I think if
the image that replaces the last one that was deleted is smaller than
the original by one full cluster or more that the last image will still
be corrupted. If fact, I think the last image will always be corrupted
in a recovery scenario.  When recovering images after the directory has
been destroyed there is no way to recognize the end of an image other
than the header at the start of another image.  So, if everything is
sequential you'll get all but the last.  And, in the recovery scenario,
the last image deleted hasn't been deleted except in the now missing
directory data.  There's also other stuff there that's left over from
whenever you last ran the image count that high.

Chuck Norcutt