Re: [OM] ( OM) OM film prints versus E-510 screen images

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM) OM film prints versus E-510 screen images
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:04:46 -0500

> At the very least, it seems that digital can not handle backlit vegetation
> very
> well at all. I came to a similar conclusion after photographing large oaks
> in
> their autumn dress a couple of weeks ago, in a Christchurch park.

I would absolutely agree with this assessment when both mediums are exposed
exactly the same way. The digital image will go "out of gamut" most easily.
This makes it a real tightrope walk, because in order to maintain rich
tonalities in the background you need to keep the exposure up, but then the
backlit leaves will blow a gasket.

Even when compared to slide film, I find that in this specific situation
digital does not handle translucent (glowing, etc) subjects nearly as well
as film.  An example of this was my recent tulip photographs which were done
on film.I would have preferred to shoot them on Velvia to get the glowing
petals to glow even more.  I cannot get tulips to glow without
underexposing. If you properly expose, then when you crank the saturation
and levels around, the digital image will solarize.

AG