Re: [OM] Fun with Dark and Room

Subject: Re: [OM] Fun with Dark and Room
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:40:14 -0500

> Ken, sounds like you are going to be having some fun in the dark this
> summer. Without regard for the load of stash, the visit with your dad and
> the
> trip down memory lane had to have been priceless.  Seems like the apples
> don't fall far from the apple trees where you live.

Dad is 82 now, but not slowing down yet. When he was loading everything up
in the car he came to the realization of the passing of not only an era in
his life, but an entire part of what made up his being. But he recognizes
that just like piloting his own airplane, those days are in the past. He was
excited to see me excited.

One thing he brought up was "craftsmanship".  As a retired toolmaker, he has
tremendous respect for those who have developed and mastered a craft. I
can't say with a straight face that I've "mastered" it, by any means, but I
do recognize that to really become a craftsman you have to love what you are
doing. And I love doing B&W and darkroom work.

On a semi-related note, we discussed the disposition of his precision tools
that he used as a master toolmaker. It seems that this is a dying trade
outside of the aerospace industry (which he was part of) and finding young
men and women entering the field whom he can contribute $10,000+ worth of
gizmos to is challenging. (Note, he dealt with sub-50 millions of an inch on
a regular basis, so we're not talking low quality stuff here but the best of
the best).

A side-note story:  The last 10 years or so he built hi-tech prototypes and
one-off stuff for aerospace. Items that were literally one of a kind using
very exotic materials. One time there was a bid that went out for a stealth
heat-seeking air-to-air bit of destruction. There were multiple companies
bidding on it and each company's engineers came up with a gimble mount of
their own design.  Each company outsourced the construction of the prototype
and a funny thing happened, my dad built each and every one for every
bidder.  In other words, he had cred.  There are things he hand made which
are sitting on other planets. He dealt with tolerances which could not be
measured except by laser beam.

Me?  I can barely pop the lid off a can of paint without breaking the
chisle.

Don't forget APUG when you start moving the surplus.  Bill  Barber

Definitely won't forget APUG.  It won't be long before I start listing a few
items. I've got three enlargers that need new homes and we'd like to find
some young talent be give the stuff to.

AG