Re: [OM] E-P1 - more leaked pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P1 - more leaked pictures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:42:29 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks for the correction.  I had thought the prevalence of 35mm as the
> common wide angle years ago was that it was the minimum focal length
> non-retrofocus design.

I think it was a hangover from rangefinders, where 35mm was a standard
focal length and the lenses didn't have to be retrofocus. Remember when
a "full" WA to tele kit was 35, 50, 135mm?

If you look at the cross sections, you can see how all the 50mm lenses
are variations on the D-G symmetrical design, with the 50/3.5 needing
one less element for the smaller aperture, the 50/1.2 & 1.4 adding one
for the extra speed and the 50/2 macro adding three. Notice how all of
them have a lozenge/almond shaped open space right in the middle. The
40/2 is clearly of the same sort, while the 35s are clearly not, with a
cemented triplet element in the center.

If you look at the cross section of the E-P1. you will see that there is
so little distance from front flange to shutter unit that the 17/2.8,
assuming it is a D-G, non-retrofocus design, probably almost touches the
shutter. <http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2009a/nr090616ep1e.cfm>

Moose