[OM] Digital Tulips Don't Glow [was OM film prints versus E-510 screen i

Subject: [OM] Digital Tulips Don't Glow [was OM film prints versus E-510 screen images]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:37:56 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
> ... Even when compared to slide film, I find that in this specific situation
> digital does not handle translucent (glowing, etc) subjects nearly as well as
> film.  An example of this was my recent tulip photographs which were done
> on film.I would have preferred to shoot them on Velvia to get the glowing
> petals to glow even more.  I cannot get tulips to glow without underexposing.
> If you properly expose, then when you crank the saturation
> and levels around, the digital image will solarize.

The Question is, what is proper exposure? As I said in my rant to Brian,
that's different for digital than even slide film, if you define it as
capturing the whole desired range of brightness.

Digital Tulips
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_5501crs.jpg>
Detail
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_5501fps.jpg>

Is the background underexposed? That depends. First, it's where I want
it, otherwise it pulls the eye from the subject. Second, it's relatively
true to life, with late afternoon sun only catching the flowers and the
background in shade.

Moose