Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1

Subject: Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:58:01 +0200
Ken, I have to disagree. If the extreme CA I am seeing here (and this
is extreme - it's
been a long time since I've seen such consistent CA across the image)
were to be attributed
to the ol' excuse of "the light rays are hitting the sensor at an
angle", surely the CA
would only be prominent in the outer zones of the image, and not
towards the centre of
the image where the rays are indeed quite perpendicular to the sensor
surface. Also,
the M8 has all sorts of image quality nonsense going on, but any of
the slower 35s
(Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander) do not show chromatic of this extent. (or
nearly, at all)

No, this is an example of a lens that stinks. I'm not saying all of
them do, maybe DPReview
got a bad copy, but the image exhibits exceptionally poor quality.

And it is difficult to design a 17mm lens for 35mm, yes, but for 4/3
you could do an exact
scaled-down (half-size) version of a great 35mm design for 35mm, and
you arrive at the
"same" end result. The twice-the-resolution-needed argument is also
not very compelling,
because the good 35mm wide angles out there arguably has more than
twice the resolution needed
for modern 20MP+ sensors, so this should be ample for a tack-sharp
half-size lens, especially
one as slow as f/2.8. The cinema industry has also had great lenses of
this focal length for decades,
and small too.

Designing a good 17mm for 4/3 is no different than designing a great
65mm for 6x7cm format
(Mamiya). And the 35's (Olympus, Leica, Zeiss, Minox) and 65's
(Mamiya) are great lenses, because
they are so easy to design.

All your arguments make the lens worse in my opinion, e.g. by bringing
the lens closer
to the sensor surface, you are freed from all of the problems of doing
a retrofocus
design, you can employ a true symmetrical / wide angle design. This
frees the optical
designer somewhat.

Your mention of no longer placing the importance on lens quality
alone, but rather as a "system"
where software corrects for lens deficiencies is worrying concept, one
I hoped would be limited
to Panasonic and their play-play lenses. Whatever you do, with a bad
lens there is information
loss than cannot be reconstructed, and this also goes counter to
Olympus' stated philosphy of
valuing lens quality above all. Also, Pentax managed just fine to make
as small, nay even smaller
pancake lenses for a much larger sensor without this level of poor
performance.

As a final comparison of why I personally think this image quality of
the Oly E-P1/17mm combo is
of dismissable quality based on what I have seen (and then I will let
the topic go, I promise),
here is a 100% crop shot on a 2004-vintage DSLR in harsh daylight
using their cheapest 35mm f/2.0
(retrofocus, much harder to design, and much faster aperture, designed
for film) lens at ISO 200
at f/7.1 with the hell sharpened out of it. Where is the noise? Where
is the CA? And Olypus is
supposed to be better at designing lenses than Canon. Especially
small, slow (f-friggin-2.8) ones.

http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs47/f/2009/168/9/5/ca_discussion_test_by_philosomatographer.jpg

I just hope this camera makes more people sell their OM kit for
reasonable prices!