Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1

Subject: Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:15:54 -0500
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Joel Wilcox<jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I agree. However, people the world over have been begging for primes
>> from Olympus on all imaginable forums, surely they must know.
>>
>> If they are serious, they need to put together a set of small but
>> serious fast
>> primes to take on the Leica M market. Imagine how ridiculous the HUGE
>> FourThirds
>> Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 + adaptor will look on an E-P1. They need
>> to make a
>> set of small, super-quality fast primes to differentiate themselves
>> from the
>> corrected-in-software poor slow zooms on offer from the competition.
>
> This is always such an interesting phase, as people evaluate the business
> model coming into some kind of view.  The kind of lenses you describe will
> be expensive.  Assuming the m4/3 bodies get some traction, it becomes
> feasible perhaps to attempt to best the other two 4/3 brothers.

Need to complete my thought -- email took off on its own apparently...

For Olympus branded m4/3 to take off in a way that I would like, it
really needs to get traction with a lot of people who walked away from
Olympus in the digital era.  But when people have asked for smaller
lenses and especially primes, it was with the E system in mind.  Being
relatively satisfied with the DZ zooms I have other than their size, I
don't see this current m4/3 supporting my system other than in
bringing more wealth to Olympus.  Maybe that gets us the occasional
bone.

Then again maybe it brings people with spec-itis and ISO/noise
avoidance issues to Olympus and they decide actually 4/3 is OK for
most things and then they decide they might like a camera with an
actual SLR viewfinder, that begins to help the e-system, maybe.

But I am rather cynical about all this as I don't think any of the
aforementioned folks amount to much market share.  We know that we
duffer OM guys amount to peanuts.  And personally I'm about as much
interested as if Olympus brought out another Camedia.  I guess I hope
it helps the marque and pays ultimately for something interesting for
the e-system.

Joel W.