Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1

Subject: Re: [OM] RANT: Sample images taken with EP-1
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:02:43 +0200
Joel, you are right, that in some ways this must be the platform that
exceeds
normal 4/3 DSLRs... In the same way that a Leica M exceeds an OM-series
body: A more conservative range of lenses in terms of focal lengths,
targeted
at people, street and documentary shooting, as well as travel. It must
do fewer things,
but do some of those things better.

I get the feeling that Olympus is purposefully keeping the m4/3
"below" the 4/3 DSLRs,
but what I think they should have done is very much like Leica - see
both as
serving different purposes, and take advantage of the m4/3 mount to
produce
small primes with huge aperture and great image quality. Even three
will do fine,
just a fast 35mm-equiv, 50mm-equiv and, say, 90mm-equiv. For the
longer stuff, the
4/3 zooms and superteles are good, and for ultra-wide-angle, the
planned zooms are
also good.

Let's hope they listen, and not purposefully keep all the m4/3 stuff
"second-tier".
With a lens legacy like the OM series', where they managed to create a
super-high-quality
50mm f/1.2 that is tiny (49mm filter), nothing should stop them from
at the very least
also creating a 25mm f/1.2 (or preferably something exotic like a 25mm
f/1.0) which is small,
and of high quality. Nobody said it has to be cheap, but if it costs
even half of what
a Leica M 50mm f/1.4 costs, they will have a market I think. And they
need an image
builder. The E-P1 / 17mm sample I linked to earlier was everything but
- more of an
image shredder, if you ask me.

Perhaps it is indeed time for optical viewfinders to die (with the
currently available
technology) so I see no problem in a m4/3 body being the top olympus
camera.

And yes, you are right, this is what Olympus can use to lure us OM
shooters to Olympus
digital.