Re: [OM] olympus philosophy, E-P1, pen et al

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus philosophy, E-P1, pen et al
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:54:41 +0200
Hi Edward,

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is focus shift not an optical property
shared by almost all fast 50mm lenses, including Leica lenses? And, as
far as I know, and in my experience, the 50/1.2L is vastly superior in
all respects to the old 50/1.0L except that it's two-thirds of a stop
slower? I can understand your statement if you have actually used both
OM and EOS 50/1.2 lenses, but from your message it seems as if you are
just speculating based on internet forum posts etc. (forgive me if I
am wrong).

I would seriously steer anybody away from paying the ludicrous second-
hand prices of the 50/1.0L, the 50/1.2L really is superior on all
fronts: the 50/1.0L ALSO has focus shift, people just didn't pixel-
peep in the film days, and it's so soft at 1.0 and around that
aperture that one cannot meaningfully compare focus points. At f/1.2,
the 50/1.2L completely out-resolves a EOS 5D sensor across most of the
frame, it's so sharp. It's a much much smaller and lighter lens than
the f/1.0 lens, it has fast and silent mechanically couple focus (not
slow focus-by-wire like the 1.0 lens), very little light falloff, and
so on. Basically, a perfect 50mm lens, but yes  - a bit large.

I used to be very heavily into the EOS system, and have extensive
experience with all their 50mm lenses. In my experience, the 50/1.0L
is an expensive novelty, and the 50/1.2L is superior to any other fast
fifty I've ever seen - and if bokeh counts, so too over fast Leica
50mm lenses. Only the Aspherical Leica 50/1.4 has greater resolution,
but they cannot come close to the soft / pleasing out-of-focus
rendering of the 50/1.2L.

The Olympus 50/1.2, however, is close, and is wonderful for being so
very much smaller.

regards,
Dawid