Re: [OM] Metz flash for OLympus E series cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Metz flash for OLympus E series cameras
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:09:59 -0500

> Does anyone have experience using either one, or both, of the following
> Olympus / Panasonic compatible Metz flash guns with Olympus E series
> cameras:

Yes. If memory serves me right, it was the 48. I prefer it to the FL50, but
the FL50R was the advantage of wireless control.

The quality of light from the Metz seemed to me to be nearly identical to
the FL50, but two things stand out to me:  The skintones were slightly more
pinkish with the Metz (not a bad thing) and the fall-off to the edge was
more abrupt with a smoother coverage across the entire image area. The FL50
tends to have more roll-off at the edges.

The "R" version of the FL50 is a game-changer, but if given a choice between
the Metz and the FL50, I'd take the Metz.  It's a hard choice, though
because both are better in some areas than others.

But we're talking about outstanding flash equipment, regardless. My Vivitar
285HV flashes blow chunks in comparison.

AG