Re: [OM] olympus philosophy, E-P1, pen et al

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus philosophy, E-P1, pen et al
From: ws <omls@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:55:46 -0400
I  have not had the chance to use a Canon 50/1.2L, except in the store.
The OM 50/1.2 was a fun lens, and I had more than one at one point.
It seemed to me that the longer 100/2 was better at the purpose of
isolating a subject with DOF than the 50/1.2 was. Plus I liked the color
and contrast of the later 50/1.4 and 100/2 over the OM 50/1.2.

And I too would rather have a 50/1.2L than the 50/1.0L but if you
really want to have the best cool fast Canon (non-50) I would go
for the weighty 85/1.2, just for the bragging rights. It could even
save some trips to the gym for a workout.

Many modern lenses are very sharp, but getting any fast lens
sharp requires precise focus. Most auto-focus systems will have
random variation. This is where the optical viewfinder performance
and lens manual focusing ease is essential, but sorely lacking in
todays cameras. Forget the pictures, the real fun of a fast lens
is what it does to the viewfinder image.

I wonder if the multiple auto-focus sensors is one of the issues
of using a fast lens with narrow DOF and getting the focus
point you really want?

WayneS