Re: [OM] E-P1 - rather stiff prices

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P1 - rather stiff prices
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:06:00 -0700 (PDT)
>It is probably not we salt of the earth OM/SLR guys who will firm up
>the market, but Facebook types who think composing with the LCD is
>normal.

He he he, I resemble and somewhat resent that statement., at least not enuf to
get offended by it.

During film days, I moved away from 35mm to a TLR just because of the ability
to see the screen with both eyes from various distances.  Made it waaay easier
to keep thoz horizons horizontal...:)

Thats why I bougth what I have upon entering digital domain.  Dawid referred to
its cousin the A1 as a p&s digicam...I have the A200 and IMHO up until recently
it was one of most sophisticated photographic tools on the market mainly
because of its articulating LCD, the live view and ability to see the results
in real time (high/low key etc...), spot meter any point on the screen by
moving a mouse-like cursor and extensive manual controls among others.  Its
performance and picture quality is up to par with the lower end DSLRs from the
same era...well, almost:  things change at night... Oh did I mention remote
control?

Back to the latest Olympus gadget...

It is pretty, really pretty.  I have two rangefinders at home and find that
they are the easiest on the eye and most fun to handle.  But, I see the
rangefinder  as a tool that forces you to work and think certain way instead
facilitating the picture taking process.  The EP-1 is more about the camera
than about photography. Couda been more useful if it had an articulating LCD.
 Dozent make much sense to use a camera that demands attention for street
photography and not give it ability to take pictures discretely...

I consider its value is mostly in the nostalgia category and as much as it
hurts to admit, the market is only a small category of peeps old enuf like most
of us here on the list that had a rangefinder at some pt in life.  Very few
younger peeps will be lured just because of the quteness factor...or just
because some old geezer bought it for them...:)

I am in the target market but I am not buying it.  I said a while back that am
waiting to see a micro 4/3 from Olympus.  Saw it. No thanks...Ill take that GH1
any day.  Now the dilemma is, who has it the cheapest...and thats a research
project on its own.

Boris