Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 - What Does It Mean?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-P1 - What Does It Mean?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:39:07 -0500

> BTW, how would you describe your Zone 10 audience?  Do you have any way to
> know?

We have an audience?  (weep)

Yes, actually I've got pretty extensive tracking tools. Common sources of
people drifting through the site come from various photography forums, both
brand-technical and not.  We're getting much more search traffic than ever
before.  I think we're on the first page of results for most things Olympus
in Google now.

RSS feeds result in nice bursts of traffic every time a new article is
posted. But "evergreen" articles and content are giving us a nice base now.
Having Gary's lens tests on the site is a good thing. Even Moose's articles
still get a lot of traffic. Personally, I'd rather not have any "new
products" content on the site, but it is what drives new visitors and then
they may discover the other stuff.  Evergreen articles rarely drive huge
bursts of visitor traffic, but they do help the site traffic out over the
long term.

About four hours ago, somebody posted a link in some obscure forum to my
opinion piece and there is a fresh burst of traffic from that forum.

Two weeks ago I learned something pretty insideous. There are traffic
shaping routers available for ISPs that cache pages. What happens is when
you visit a site like www.zone-10.com it temporarily stores the page in
cache.  The next person being served by that same ISP that goes to
www.zone-10.com won't actually go there, but is instead served by the cache.
This is a very simplified explanation, but what it means to website
publishers is that the visitor traffic numbers are skewed.  I was curious
why our visitor count from places like the Middle East, Africa and South
America (except for Brazil) is abnormally low. It turns out that bandwidth
is extremely expensive in these areas and the caching routers are used
extensively.  All I see, as a web publisher, is an increase in "spyder"
traffic.  Based on what I now know, I believe at least 4-5% of my visitor
count and page views are being intercepted by these devices. This is in
addition to the internal server caching which also occasionally (depending
on page) screws up the visitor/page view counts.

The majority of visitors come from European countries, with an inordinate
amount from Eastern Europe and former Soviet countries.  North America is,
of course, strong and just about equals the European counts.  SE Asia is
generally pretty strong, with Japan and China leading the list.

It's hard to accurately track time-on-site, because most web-browsers now
fail to indicate when they leave a site--they tell the site that they left
once the page load has been complete. This is especially true with CMS-based
websites. But when it does report accurately, the greatest number of
visitors are on the site 5-15 minutes.

72% of the visitors use Windows, 22 percent Macintosh, 4% Linux.

37% use Firefox, 34% Exploder, 16% Safari, 5% Chrome, and 4% Opera.

69% of visitor traffic comes from email-links (like the OM-list), bookmarks
or direct-entry.  6% from search sites (google), and 25% come from other
sites and forums.

"olympus m43" has been the most popular search term the past two months.

The number one referring website is www.1001noisycameras.com followed by
www.dpreview.com and then a host of forums in languages I've never seen
before. I have no idea what they are on about.

As I write this, the last several visitors are from: Edmonton, Winnipeg,
Salinas CA, Falkirk, Portland, Cheltenham, Zagreb, Wetzlar, and the Central
District.  Five of them are currently on the "What Does it Mean?" article.

Anything else you'd like to know?  I won't reveal specific visitor counts in
public, but let's just say that it is substantially more than are on this
list.

AG