Re: [OM] IMG: three new panoramas

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: three new panoramas
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:04:22 -0700
Jan Steinman wrote:
> In the thread about DOF, I posted my panorama done with the Zuiko 180/2.8. It
> took days to bring together.
>
> What I ended up doing was taking a one-pixel horizontal slice of the sky,
> converting it to gray, replicating it across the image, then using it as a
> mask to a contrast/brightness adjustment layer. That got rid of most visible
> banding, but it was a pain in the but to do!

Ouch! And I thought I spent to much time working on images! But I'll
file the idea away. :-)

> I also did a pano with the Zuiko 21/3.5 that was essentially unusable.

Yeah, linear distortion wreaks havoc with panos. It's an important thing
to keep in mind in choosing the lens. When I did this one, a half-hour
walk along a rail bed from the car, I only had my two zooms and a 90mm
macro with me. So I did it with the 17-35 @ 35mm, rather than the 28-300
@ 35mm, as the long end of a short zoom has less distortion than the
reverse.

The great savior, though is PTLens (and, I imagine, DXO). As many folks
use certain older MF lenses on their FF Canons, there are PTLens
profiles for those lenses. So you could, for example, go back to those
21/3.5 frames, correct the distortion in PTlens and recombine them for a
much better result.

Moose