[OM] Mt McKinkey (Denali) and an Infinity focus question

Subject: [OM] Mt McKinkey (Denali) and an Infinity focus question
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 01:03:56 -0400 (EDT)
I just got back from a trip to Alaska, and have been plowing
forward through the accumulated OM digests - am now up to June
16th - but wanted to post a few pictures and ask a couple
questions.

These pictures were taken from a moving train when we were
about 50 miles from Mt. McKinley. I've fiddled with them using
Lightroom, which I don't really know how to use yet, going for
a postcard effect.

The pictures are from my E-1, ISO at 200.

14-54 lens @ 42mm, f/7.1, 1/800
http://users.rcn.com/rmwoods/OM/P6150189_1K.jpg

70-300 lens @ 70mm, f/4, 1/2500 ISO 200
http://users.rcn.com/rmwoods/OM/P6150205_1K.jpg

70-300 lens @ 300mm, f/5.6, 1/2500 ISO 200
http://users.rcn.com/rmwoods/OM/P6150178_1K.jpg

And another mountain
14-54 lens @52mm, f/4 1/2000 -1EV
http://users.rcn.com/rmwoods/OM/P6150209_1K.jpg

The 300mm picture is something of a disappointment in terms of
sharpness and contrast.  Is this just in the nature of a 600MM
FOV and the accumulated atmosphere between the subject and me?
Or would stopping down have helped?

When both lenses autofocused, they stopped well short of the
infinity stop.  This was true at all focal lengths.  I tried
manual focusing, and the sharpest I could focus seemed to be
at the same point the autofocus picked.  Is this normal, or do
my lenses need to be recalibrated?  A 50 mile subject distance
ought to be infinity in my book, even for a 300mm lens.

----- Larry Woods
      lmwoods@xxxxxxx