Re: [OM] Flash Floods

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash Floods
From: Tom Fenwick <super.wide@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:09:09 +0100
2009/6/26 Frank van Lindert

> Thanks, Tom.
>
> Yes, quite a difference. But I assume that it has happened before,
> perhaps many times, in the past.

Indeed - this is how the whole landscape has formed.  But on human
timescales in any one location this is a rare event; the farmer who owns the
land has been there for 60 years and has never seen such an event before.

When you consider that there is a five mile layer of conglomerate rock
formed this way from the erosion of the Lakeland mountains over about 400
million years it puts things in perspective a bit!

> BTW, beautiful area, along the River Wharfe.
> I remember passing through Otley once or twice. First time was on
> bicycle, in 1979 or 1980 it must have been, on my way from Hull to
> Skipton and then further on to Kirkby Lonsdale and the Lake District.
> Hard work, negotiating all those hills and mountains. We (girlfriend
> and I) carried tent and all necessary camping gear on our racing
> bikes. 15-speed, which was much at the time, but not enough. I do even
> remember that each bike, fully packed, put 21 kg on the scale - which
> was considered to be very light weight.

Tough work - I've done similar trips, probably about 8 years behind you :-)

Tom