Re: [OM] Best rechargeable batts for my Olympus FL-50R

Subject: Re: [OM] Best rechargeable batts for my Olympus FL-50R
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:23:49 -0700
David Irisarri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Next weekend I am going to my best friend´s wedding. I would take my E-1 with
> my new FL-50R flash. I have been reading this test
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM and I am a little bit
> confused about some terms.

One problem with the web is that stuff stays there long after its use-by
date. This article was written in 2002 and updated in 2005. Battery and
charger technology and brands/models have moved on since then.

> I know Energizer NiMH 2300 bats are excellent but they are 1.2V Can they be
> used in FL-50R or not?

Yes. All flash units for at least the last 10 years, probably much
longer, operate correctly with NiCad and NiMH, 1.2v batteries. Although
it seems counter intuitive on the surface, in spite of the lower nominal
voltage, they are actually better for flash use than 1.5v alkaline
disposable batteries. Oly sells a NiMH battery/charger pack for the
FL-50R (wildly overpriced).

1. They have lower internal resistance, so they can deliver higher
currents for faster recharge times.

2. They have higher total energy capacity, so they last for more flashes.

The best batteries for most users are Sanyo eneloops. Fully charged,
they have slightly less capacity than conventional NiMH batteries.
However, after maybe 3 weeks sitting after charging, they have about the
same capacity. After a year, they still have about 80% of a full charge,
while conventionals have long ago gone completely flat. For the amateur,
occasional user, the are far superior.

Some other folks have copied Sanyo, both smaller brands and Rayovac and
Duracell. In the last tests I saw, they were good, but not as good as Sanyo.
The only reason I can see for buying anything but the low self-discharge
models is in a situation like pro wedding/event photography, where MANY
shots are to be taken and perhaps carrying a few replacements and
switching when recycling time slows or at a natural break isn't desired.

There is another issue, as well. Somebody gave me some Energizers and
the simple charger that came packaged with them. It, and apparently many
cheap chargers, simply works on a timer, pushing juice at the batteries
for a fixed period. This has two consequences:

1. Fully discharged batteries likely will not to be fully charged.

2. Slightly discharged batteries will be put under overcharge stress,
leading to reduced overall life. (Oddly enough, battery makers don't
mind if you have to buy replacements sooner, rather than later.  ;-)   )

Earlier 4 battery chargers sold in eneloop combo packs were quite good
(like at least older Oly Camedia chargers), with separate circuits for
each cell and auto cutoff when each is charged. Current eneloop 4 cell
chargers only charge cells in pairs, but at least stop when full. By the
way, there is no difference in charger requirements for conventional or
eneloop and other low self-discharge batteries.

When I did my last research a few months ago, I concluded the La Crosse
BC-700 was the best combo of capability and price in a separate charger
purchase.

I have no idea how eneloops are packaged in Spain, but the packs with
6-8 AAs and 2-4 AAAs, together with a 4-cell charger are a good deal
here. I use them for all sorts of things, so I've also bought some
separate packs of AAAs. The only thing they seem not suited for are some
elderly remote controls, where the lower voltage does make a difference.

> Which ones will give me the best recycling time and longer life?

As mentioned on the link you posted, the highest capacity NiMHs tend to
sacrifice useful life for maximum capacity when new, and don't age well
over many charge/discharge cycles.

Moose