Re: [OM] More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)

Subject: Re: [OM] More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 19:28:01 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The author of the finest book you'll ever read on photo restoration
> (including Katrin Eisman's work which is really saying something)
> <http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Restoration-Start-Finish-photographs/dp/0240808142/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246240456&sr=1-1>
> Highly recommended... even if you don't do restoration work.
>
> Here's his self-promotional blurb.  All that black hair in the 1991 photo is
> now gray.  I think he's actually Moose's cousin.
> <http://ctein.com/whoami.htm>

He lives in the SF area, but I've never met him. Not shy about tooting
his own horn, is he?

He is known in certain circles as a master printer and may be the last
person on the planet with the skills, equipment and hoarded supplies to
do dye-transfer printing. Out of curiosity, I bought one of his D-T
prints on a special offer through TOP. While an excellent print, I'm not
all that sure that an equally good one could not be made with a high end
inkjet.

He's Mike's chosen writer of technical articles. Good because he doesn't
make mistakes of ignorance tha Mike himself is occasionally prone to do
in his own articles on technical subjects. Mike's article on dynamic
range of DSLRs was seriously flawed, for example.

Not ideal, from my biased perspective, because he has said some things
that I don't believe are as universally true as he makes them sound.
Much of his published photography doesn't move me, but is esteemed by
others..

Moose