Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/06/2009: red on grey

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/06/2009: red on grey
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:44:55 +0200
Things have changed, Mike.

One small correction; what happened after 1968 cannot be characterized
as a pogrom. There was an anti-Semitic campaign sponsored by the
Communist government, mostly designed to drive a wedge between the
student protests and the broader population, but a pogrom implies some
physical violence or threat, and there was none of that. We are
talking about things like expulsion from the Party (which in turn
could mean loss of job) and so on. We were in fact part of the wave of
emigration, moving to Denmark in 1972.

Today, however, there is a revival of Jewish life in Poland and a
great interest among the broader population about exploring this part
of Poland's history, painful as it is at times.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain