Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]

Subject: Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 06:39:45 -0400
Unsharp is unsharp whether by diffraction, depth of field or a small
amount of motion blur.  With the 5D on a tripod doing landscape I try to
stay at f/11... but I might bend that for foreground depth of field.
But macro as CH shows here and Moose showed with his well-dressed fly
are different things and especially if one is on a tripod and the other
is freehand.  I assume the fly was shot freehand and there additional
depth of field is probably required just to compensate for the swaying
camera.  CH's shots, on the other hand, appear to be done on a tripod
and have the benefit of time and careful composition to position the in
and out-of-focus areas.  I don't think it's necessarily different
strokes for different folks but different strokes for different situations.

Finally, although the diffraction table for a 35mm size sensor shows
that resolution at f/16 is diffraction limited to 7 megapixels, that's
still more resolution than an E1.  Furthermore, recalling that
megapixels are an area measure and resolution is a linear measure the
actual loss of resolution on a 5D between f/11 and f/16 is only about
25%.  Good interpolation on ressing-up can probably hide a lot of that.

Chuck Norcutt