Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]

Subject: Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:39:45 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Unsharp is unsharp whether by diffraction, depth of field or a small amount
> of motion blur.

Sure. I'm just talking about my own work in finding the right
combination for me.

> With the 5D on a tripod doing landscape I try to stay at f/11... but I might
> bend that for foreground depth of field. But macro as CH shows here and Moose
> showed with his well-dressed fly are different things and especially if one
> is on a tripod and the other is freehand.  I assume the fly was shot freehand
> and there additional depth of field is probably required just to compensate
> for the swaying camera. CH's shots, on the other hand, appear to be done on a
> tripod and have the benefit of time and careful composition to position the
> in and out-of-focus areas.  I don't think it's necessarily different strokes
> for different folks but different strokes for different situations.

Quite different, although both hand-held. I was wandering about,
chatting, looking in stores and store windows and casually shooting
whatever caught my eye. The dog shot I recently posted was the next one
after the fly, without changing lens.  The lenses are wildly different,
too. C.H. with classic 80/4 MF true macro lens and me with umpteen
element, 11x zoom with built-in IS at 218mm.

Still, I think the optimal focal place and DOF for any given subject and
viewer will be much the same, regardless of what equipment creates it.
For me, the plane of focus and DOF on the fly image are perfect, unlike
the shot before it, where I missed the focus from a different angle
before the fly relocated.

> Finally, although the diffraction table for a 35mm size sensor shows that
> resolution at f/16 is diffraction limited to 7 megapixels, that's still more
> resolution than an E1. Furthermore, recalling that megapixels are an area
> measure and resolution is a linear measure the actual loss of resolution on a
> 5D between f/11 and f/16 is only about 25%.  Good interpolation on ressing-up
> can probably hide a lot of that.

No rezzing up here, just a full pixel crop - with a little custom
sharpening. Two different sharpening settings were applied selectively
in different degrees to different areas.

Moose