Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]

Subject: Re: [OM] Real world [was More on DOF and focal length (by Ctein)]
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 23:14:15 -0300
I fear not whether I retain or lose my sanity when trying to learn or
understand something.
Otherwise, things would happen as Cervantes wrote about Don Quixote, and
I know for sure things don't go that way.

What I do when these kind of threads start spreading and loosing and
getting confusing or contradictory, is to wait until its end.
I would often recall a problem was once discussed here when out in the
field, so I'm not facing the unknown by myself.
At that moment I would try what I think best, and then would try to find
what was discussed, and read the topic as a whole, from a distance, from
different perspectives, mixing sources.
I'd judge what I did (I mean, if it worked or not) after and during my
understanding of the posed problem.
Somehow I am convinced that I will not miss anything, there will be an
opportunity to find what was missed without my knowing of having missed
anything -- it feels as like a discovery.

You know, it's been only a few days ago that I learned that it was
completely normal that the 300/4,5 focuses 'past infinity'.
I had never had a true telephoto before, and the time for my discovery
arrived.

I've read lots of things you wrote, Moose. Little by little I'm
understanding things you said (perhaps long ago), finding coincident or
complementary pieces of thought from other sources, the way they fit
together, the way they don't fit together, the time to ask for help and
how to do it timely.

This approach is widespread in my pursuance, but all too often I fail to
maintain it.

Fernando.