Re: [OM] Opinions and images wanted: OM Zuiko 35mm f/2.0

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions and images wanted: OM Zuiko 35mm f/2.0
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:55:21 -0500
I have a personal love of the 35mm focal length because it acts as my
"normal" lens. But I wouldn't call it a wide-angle. Common mid-range zooms
were 35-70mm which really are just covering the range from "short-normal to
long-normal"  35mm isn't wide and 70mm isn't telephoto.

28mm is a wide-angle not just because it's shorter than a 35mm, but because
the image takes on a different look.  28mm is nice because it's a
wide-angle, but it doesn't distort the images from subject proximity like
wider-angles do.  24mm is distinctly well into the wide-angle range and has
extensive subject proximity distortion.  21mm is like the 24mm, only wider.
Beyond that point, the lenses tend to lose most of their usefulness.

A 35/2 is a really nice lens, and is a bit better in use than the
specifications indicate. But there are issues.  The 35/2 is a bear to focus
on a 2-series focus screen.  Perfect on a 1-series, but somehow it doesn't
match up well with the ultra-fine microprism 2-series screen and it doesn't
"snap" into focus.

The 28/2 is possibly the most useful true wide-angle Zuiko F2 lens. It is
also extremely sharp.  If you've used the Zuiko 28/3.5, trust me when I say
that the difference is as night and day as they come. Even saying that they
share the same focal-length is stretching it.

My own preference to the 35/2.8 is several fold:
1. I own one.
2. Bokeh is classic, uniform, linear and totally natural at all apertures.
3. Small and lightweight.
4. 49mm filter-ring size.
5. Focusing ease on 2-series screens.
6. Contrast of the silvernosed version is perfect for B&W and Velvia.

I made the mistake of selling my original 35/2.8.  Tom Scales, when cleaning
out the last of his "All Things Olympus" called me up and asked me if I'd
like a silvernosed 35/2.8.  Do dogs bark?  Within a week I felt like I had
returned home.

I've contemplated getting an F2 lens in the 24-35mm range, but figure that
my money is best spent on other things--like film!  It's a wonderful feeling
knowing that you really do have everything you need and the only wants are
just wants.

AG