Re: [OM] Hats off - Zuiko 300mm f/4, 5 <--> 85~250mm f/5 shootout, by C

Subject: Re: [OM] Hats off - Zuiko 300mm f/4, 5 <--> 85~250mm f/5 shootout, by Chuck
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 21:18:03 +0200
Hi Chuck, Fernando, Wayne and all,

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Oh ! - a 'regador'

In Spain we call them "aspersores":

<http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspersor>

which apparently translates to English as "Irrigation sprinkler"

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>An 'irrigador' follows the same hydrostatic / hydrodynamic laws. It has
>a widespread use in medicine and dentistry, and maybe in other fields of
>practice which I ignore. It names an instrument used to clean closed
>cavities

I have heard about vaginal irrigatiors...

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Now I would just say
>"impact sprinkler".  According to Google that translates to
>"impacto de rociadores"  Oh, my!  That's three words!  :-) :-)

A more sensible translation would be "rociador de impacto" -- still three
words, though ;-) Never trust a computer...

From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Yeah, one I've learnt recently - "tempranillo".

Remember the famous bandit José María "el Tempranillo":

<http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Tempranillo> (sorry, no English version
available)

A diminutive form of "temprano" ("early"), he was nicknamed so because the
early age he started as an outlaw -- 15 years old.

From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>You must be near Mexico, but I'm sure in Spain they use that form.
>
>It sounds somehow amusing to a Rio de la Plata Spanish-speaking
>person:
>here we use 'tempranito'.

The diminutive forms ending in -ito/-ita are the standard in Spanish, Spain
or elsewhere. However, in southern Spain the -illo/-illa forms are way more
common. There's a third form: -ico/-ica, which is used in Almería
(sometimes), Murcia (almost always) and, surprisingly, in Aragón (the
provinces of Huesca Zaragoza & Teruel)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)