Re: [OM] Using FL-50R, wedding sample pictures, Eneloop batts, etc...

Subject: Re: [OM] Using FL-50R, wedding sample pictures, Eneloop batts, etc...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 10:45:07 -0400
I think maybe you need some friends with more hair!  :-)

Seriously, I was a bit intrigued by this shot
<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SmQMjpOv9tZYsQ13luDxPw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink>
The highlights on the man's head are not actually blown but, instead of
being extremely bright skin tone it is extremely bright gray (RGB all =
249).  The brightness levels of the individual channels have become so
compressed that any attempt to lower it just returns a noticeable gray
tone.  A bit more distressing it the same lack of color channel
differentiation in the woman's hair.  There the color channels are not
so close to blown but are still gray (RGB all = 236).  The only way I
have found to fix these photos (short of painting or cloning) is to
select the area to be fixed with the magic wand and then adjust just the
highlights end of the individual RGB channels downward by differing
amounts and proportional to the surrounding colors.

Did you shoot this in raw?  If so can you send me a copy?

As to proper exposure outside of direct sun as in the last two shots I
don't quite agree.
<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/U626Dw1XDKDYnv2UwTLhkw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink>
<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qxwdDjbJM2fLXhZ9VIkqRw?authkey=Gv1sRgCLfr7sHUorSkOQ&feat=directlink>
I think there is a bit too much flash exposure since the background is
slightly underexposed.  However, I should say that some people think
this is fine and you often find it in advertising photos but I don't
like it since it looks unnatural.  "Fixing" this may require turning FP
flash off since it requires a different ratio between aperture and
shutter speed.  A slower shutter speed will increase the ambient
contribution to brighten the background and a smaller aperture or lower
power will decrease the flash.

As to handling exposure between sun and shade with clouds coming and
going it's really only a matter of having two different exposure
settings so manual exposure control is really not that daunting.  But
short of that I would advise you to go back to at least a -1/3 stop
exposure adjustment since it appears that the camera does not deal well
with bright scenes that are only near the upper range and not over it.
But lets see the raw files before passing final judgement.

Chuck Norcutt