Re: [OM] Using FL-50R, wedding sample pictures, Eneloop batts, etc...

Subject: Re: [OM] Using FL-50R, wedding sample pictures, Eneloop batts, etc...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 14:00:48 -0400
Sorry, I got the raw file and there's nothing I can (easily) do for you.
  The man's head and a goodly part of the woman's hair are truly blown
in the raw file (all channels at 255) and simple recovery is not
possible.  But I did discover something I had not previously known.  If
you push exposure to minimum and recovery towards maximum in ACR it will
start reducing the 255 values to lower values.  Your complicated process
below must be achieving the same thing as ACR's sliders because that's
what I saw in your JPEG.  Once the values are below 255 it's possible to
use curves for individual channels to bring back a sort of pseudo color.
  Of course, this has to be done under some sort of selection or mask to
avoid altering the rest of the image and then blended at the perimeter.

In the future you can either live with it or keep the negative exposure
adjustment handy.  I think the flash was working reasonably well if you
can keep the camera's ambient exposure under control.

Chuck Norcutt