[OM] Acadia NP and other stuff

Subject: [OM] Acadia NP and other stuff
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 18:41:38 -0700 (PDT)
Gang,

Just came back from Acadia NP in time to see my thirteen year old son riding
his motorcycle decorated in red, white and blue at the head of the longest
continuous running fourth of July parade in the US.

Back to Acadia.  It was rainy and miserable by the standards of most.  But this
is my kinda weather.  I also don’t have a scientific answer to the question why
the A200 is still functioning...

I am glad to report that I have never seen Acadia so beautiful, so
recommendation is that this year if you have not decided where to go on
vacation, make it top priority destination.

After such a wet spring, the millions variety of moss that the park is usually
abundant with, has transformed the entire place into something like a fairy
tale land.  I will be making at least one more trip this year.

My liquor store let me down when it comes to aquiring the “Ten Penny” beer in
time to bring to Bob( I should reconsider my allegiance), whom I managed to
visit on my way back.  He actually isnt the mean grumpy dude everyone thinks he
is, but I know I kent change your mind and will leave you at that.  I had a
hard time locating him at first.  There was this humongous camera I think it
was called a D3, occupying the entire waiting area at the restaurant and he was
hiding behind it...  later found out that it belonged to him.

We had a great time.  In the hour or so we spent together, I learned a lot more
than for all this years on this list.  We didnt talk Olympus as much as
photography in general and what we do in real life away from cyberspace.
Overall, I think that Bob definately deserves that six pack of good beer...Ill
get it to him next time I am on my way to Acadia.

Speeking of beer, we recently determined that the US beer industry is heading
in a right direction, but whats up with the wine industry?  12 years ago I
“experimented” and tried to find a bottle Californian wine that I like within
the $25 range.  It was mostly based on recommendations from the store owners
and was unable to find any, mostly because they were too thick and flavored,
meaning that you taste anything but the grape, and with higher alcohol content.
 These days, the norm seems to be a fruity thick syrup with significant alcohol
percentage.  It is not only California, Spain and Chile are also competing for
the title of the “worst offender”.  14.5% and above of alcohol seems to be the
norm, this days sorry, but this is not wine.  Not to mention that there isnt
any grape taste, just artificial flavors.  Spread it on a toast, baby...Where
is this world heading and is this the end for the el cheapo vino drinker?

To recap:

1.  your vacation plans and get to Acadia NP as soon as you can
2.  Bob is a really nice guy
3.  Switch from wine to beer, unless you are filthy rich of course

Boris