Re: [OM] FS: E-3 and lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] FS: E-3 and lenses
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 23:59:56 -0500
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Ken Norton<ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Sorry?  E-3 isn't really much better at high ISO than the E-1?  Still
>> running on the fumes of denial I see.  We need a serious get-together.
>>

> LOL, yes just a hint of denial.  Just a hint....
>
> Seriously, I am extremely pleased with the high-ISO images I see from the
> E-3 except for one issue.  There is visible banding with the E-3 where my
> E-1 remains random-noise without the banding. But ISO 1600 is very usable
> whereas ISO 800 is the practical limit with the E-1, except in really aweful
> light. At issue for me, is that I can work with random-noise patterns, but
> the banding is pretty much a show-stopper.

I have seen some banding of a sort on high ISO shots in terrible light
(as in not much) where in effect I'm trying to get an image at 3200
which really needs 6400 or 12800.  I use the lightest NR setting,
though I doubt that has anything to do with banding.

As you know, I like Studio 2 for RAW conversion.  Don't know if that's
a factor as honestly my percentage of shots at 1600 or above is
perhaps 1 in 1000.  Even at ISO 100 I don't often get into situations
where IS is really engaged.  My experience, such as it is, is that the
330 was sensational noise-wise to the E-1 and the E-3 is lots better
than the 330.  But I guess I don't really have much experience with
noise issues in real earnest.

Joel W.