[OM] Of the many things I don't know, and thanks, John

Subject: [OM] Of the many things I don't know, and thanks, John
From: Jerry Smith <proud_texan63@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:09:43 -0700 (PDT)
   Hello all,  I have been lurking here for a while, as I haven't been shooting
a lot lately. I also just got back from a 19 day, 6 state, 3600 mile motorcycle
trip, where I finally used my E-1 for a bit. My E-1 performed flawlessly, as
usual, until to my horror, I reached for it one day and saw that me eye piece
was cracked into about 5 pieces. I continued to carry and use it until arriving
home, when I called Olympus to ask abort the damage and cost of repair. I was
shocked when I was told Oly has a flat rate repair for the E-1, of $239.00.
Which I suppose if you need new electronics is not a bad deal, but not for
something like this. I asked if that was the best I could hope for and they
said "Yes". I then looked back at John's, Camtech site, having already looked
and did not see anything listed for our E things, I decided to call and ask him
about it. John was very cordial and after I explained what I had he said that
that eye piece is a bayonet
 mount and it just comes right off, that it is a user replaceable part. He
looked it up and said yes, that's right, I can replace it. He didn't have them
in stock, so I said thank you very much and placed a call back to Oly. This
time I was prompted t the Oly Store for parts, quickly being told I was nuts,
that I have to send the camera in for that. I asked to be transferred to tech
support, who promptly confirmed what John had told me that I can replace that
part, with any one of five different ones they make for it. He quickly told me
where I could order one and I was on my way. Great, something like that was
what I was hoping for in my first call. I asked why I would have been told to
simply send the camera in for that flat rate repair, he apologized and said
that most folks simply do not know the E cameras the way they should. So now
I'm waiting for the brown truck to bring my new part and be back in business.
So, one more "Thank you" to John, and to
 say don't believe everything you hear, that first person is not always right.
Oh, and the trip was wonderful, I'll be posting some shots from it later.
   Jerry
Life is not a race, it is a ride. Enjoy it!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/proud-texan/