Re: [OM] film for lens testing

Subject: Re: [OM] film for lens testing
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 21:54:05 +0200
Hi Edward, Chuck and all,

> From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
> For B&W film, search out some Tech pan. As you know it's discontinued but
> it's out there.

Oh, I miss it so BAD... :-(

Besides the extreme resolving power and lack of grain, I also liked the TP
because of the extended red sensitivity -- a must for astro pics. Now I'm
trying Rollei SuperPan 200, which is much faster, has _some_ grain but a
similar response. Time will tell.

However, if I want to use TP with a "normal" contrast, the only way I know
is to develop it in Technidol, which if discontinued probaby would last much
less than the film. B&W film can last quite a long time -- I'm using (for
quick tests etc) a roll of Adox KB21 (now Efke 100) expired in 1986...

> It came in bulk rolls, 150ft which is about 30 rolls of 36exp give or take.

Yes, instead of the usual 100ft = 20 rolls because of the thinner Estar-AH
base allows that 50% extra per roll -- you could make 50 exp. rolls or so!

> You could also use one of the more modern microfilms like
> gigabit/copex/imagelink, but I haven't tried those.

Seems
difficult. And, as stated in a previous post, I would like some "real
world" conditions.

> Tech pan certainly would work best in technidol but is still usable in
> other developers.

Even in paper developer... but always with a high, harsh contrast.

> for color neg, I'd use Ektar 25 if you can find enough of it , or Ektar 100
> (the current modern version) if ektar 25 is too hard to find in quantity.

Seems a sensible option. Anyone here has experience with Ektar 100?

> for color slide, K25 or Velvia 50.

Oh, Kodachrome... years ago I had a roll of PKR64 returned... I don't think
I could develop it any more :-(

> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> But is there any sense to use a film with higher resolution than what
> you're going to shoot with after the test?

Well, although my most used film is Tri-X @ 1600, I _sometimes_ go much
slower, like Delta 100 or Pan F. These were some of the considered
options in this thread.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)