Re: [OM] Nikon V-ED scanner and software test

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon V-ED scanner and software test
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:05:09 +0200
Hi Ken,

I am also a Vuescan user (since yesterday) and I am very very pleased
with its ability
to produce clean images with great shadow details, even from a lowly
Epson V700...

Have a look at three of my images:

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/190/3/e/One_magnolia_at_a_time_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/190/4/7/Trio_Canopy_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/190/8/7/Recursion_of_misplaced_values_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Finally, this image was extremely problematic, a 1 second exposure on
Provia 100 which still did not
have any shadow details, I did 10x multi-pass scanning in Vuescan and
could pull out a lot more than what
was visible on the light table (i.e. the woman on the right was not at
all visible),
without any shadow noise. (man I love pushing film shadows, they are
so clean...)

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/191/9/b/A_lamp_for_friends_by_philosomatographer.jpg

Even though I am using an amateur scanner, I am achieving results
that, in colour fidelity and in resolution,
exceed what I used to achieve with digital, butat much greater effort
and cost per-shot
(this scanning thing is all new to me). Of course, I don't expect the
flatbed to be much good with my
35mm Olympus negatives, but that's what the darkroom is for.

It aught to be pretty good with scanned prints though... Will keep you
posted.

On 10 Jul 2009, at 8:08 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

> I just whipped up a quick comparison of a problem slide in the Nikon
> Coolscan V-ED.

<snip>