Re: [OM] Nikon V-ED scanner and software test

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon V-ED scanner and software test
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:47:26 -0300
Cc: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Great post and work, Ken. Thank you.

Ken Norton wrote:

> accomplish a similar function, you can use the multi-exposure mode in
> VueScan to pull additional details out and boost the curve slightly so it
> writes the file with maximum shadow detail.

I still don't understand VueScan single curve, with values from 0.001 to
0.009, and a black point of 0% white point 0%.
I read the instructions some months ago, I'll go through them again.
Hope to find the logic of these numbers clear enough, or at least
translatable to 0 ~ 255.
Oh, and I found I must upgrade from 8.5.05 !!.
> Another option for extremely difficult slides is to do two scans--one at the
> normal exposure and the other with the scanner exposure cranked up a couple
> of stops. This is NOT the same as curves adjustment in the scanner software,
> this is the base gain exposure.  In VueScan this is found in the first tab,

Ken, this is at File > Input > Multi Exposure, the checkbox which must
be checked?
> in NikonScan, on the Tools Palette, it's near the bottom in the "Analog
> Gain" section.  Take the two scans and then do a standard HDR like combine.

So: two scans using either Vuescan or NikonScan?

This sounds encouraging: for the first time I will try 'Analog Gain' in
my 4000ED. Perhaps I will rescue shadow detail without 'making' colors,
like in this one:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/3409981821/>
---link to 1280, and to view on black. aRGB, and no clipping thanks to
sage advice from C.H. :-)
> After all, this is all that VueScan and NikonScan are doing automatically
> with Multi-Exposure and DDE.

Great !
> Normally, I aged my Fujichrome 50, but this shot was from 50-roll brick
> which didn't achieve proper aging for another six months. Hence the slight
> coolness. Aged F50 was almost a dead knockoff for Velvia 50. For all
> publications and printings, we boosted the warmth and saturation, as well as
> overall exposure of the mid-tones to get the leaves to stand out a little
> more.  But we also pushed the background down into black. Drove the printer
> nuts as that magazine cover was mostly solid black and they struggled with
> full-coverage without streaks.
>

> AG

Amazing ... never heard of that: aging Fujichrome 50.
It was rarely sold here, I never saw a roll of it.
I think on those years I was using either KM or KR all the time ...
like a frequent and faithful reader of Modern Photography magazine would
do :-)

Fernando.