Re: [OM] ( DZ OM ) Value for money?

Subject: Re: [OM] ( DZ OM ) Value for money?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:55:32 -0700
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> I will share this with a relative who bought a 5DmkII when they first came
> out.  He shoots at the half resolution setting, mainly because he didn't want
> to double his file storage instantly and didn't think he needed it for his
> purposes.  It sounds like he really doesn't need it.

I don't know about your kin, but I can see several possible reasons to
want a 5dII, even if it had the same old sensor. So ignore the sensor
for a moment.

    * Dust reduction stuff
    * Higher ISO with lower noise
    * Auto ISO (100 - 3200)
    * Permanent display of ISO on both top plate and viewfinder displays
    * AF micro adjustment (up to 20 lenses individually)
    * Three custom modes on command dial, vs. one
    * Slightly larger viewfinder coverage
    * 3.0" 920,000 dot LCD monitor with 170° viewing angle
    * Live View!
    * No mirror-flip for exposures in Live View if contrast detect AF
      selected
    * HD video with full audio, including in Live View.
    * UDMA CompactFlash support
    * Optional WFT-E4 WiFi / LAN / USB vertical grip
    * Water resistance: 10 mm rain in 3 minutes

There are other changes/improvements on Canon's list, but these are the
most significant in my view. My point is simply that eevn one of these
might make the difference for some particular users, while the
combination add up to much broader capabilities.

So one might look at the larger sensor as a freebie extra that one may
use or not. :-)

If I had a lot of spare cash, I'd probably have one. but I'm still
happily shootin' along with the 5D.

Moose