Re: [OM] Parachute Jump

Subject: Re: [OM] Parachute Jump
From: "David Bell" <deebel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:31:53 +0100
Thanks Chuck,

Appreciate your advice.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Norcutt [mailto:chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 14 July 2009 02:28
To: Olympus Camera Discussion

I have no first hand experience with parachute jumping but a little bit of
math along with some poorly remembered numbers tells me:
If they jump from as high as 10,000 feet and open their chutes at 2,000 feet
the free fall portion (that first 8,000 feet) will last about 45 seconds.
That's from something in the back of my head that a human body in free fall
soon approaches a terminal velocity of about 125 mph.  I'm guessing the
remaining glide down from 2000 feet will be at 15-30 mph and another 45-90
seconds so the whole thing will not take long even if my estimates are off
by a factor of 2.

As to exposure, if its mid-day you can probably count on sunny 16 (or maybe
it's sunny 11 at UK latitudes.  Actually, I just discovered that sunny 11 is
the correct rule for 60 degrees north.  Maybe the southern part of the UK
needs sunny 11-1/2.  Alternatively, if you have some blue sky not close to
the sun you can just meter the blue sky which makes a pretty good gray card.
If the sun is high the jumpers faces may be in shade of the canopy so you
might want to open up a bit from the blue sky reading.

If you shoot at f/8 the 200/5 on an E-1 should have a hyperfocal distance of
300 meters with everything in focus from 150 meters to infinity.  If you
prefocus at something about 300 meters distant then you shouldn't have to
worry about focusing again until well after the canopy opens.  But after
they get within 150 meters you'll have to start focusing and focusing fast
as they'll presumably coming at you and closing the distance fast.

Chuck Norcutt