Re: [OM] In Memory ...

Subject: Re: [OM] In Memory ...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:44:41 -0400
Not quite.  I'd never heard of "Gaffa Tape" but Wiki tells me it's, as I
suspected, what I call gaffer's tape.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape>

But gaffer's tape and duct tape are quite different.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape>

Although outwardly similar looking gaffer's tape is meant for temporary
use and has a lower strength adhesive.  It is meant to be removed right
after use without leaving any adhesive residue.  Duct tape, on the other
hand, is difficult to remove and always leaves lots of adhesive residue
behind.  The special properties of gaffer's tape also make it much more
expensive than duct tape.  Here it is at USD 0.72 per yard
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353363-REG/Permacel_Shurtape__Pro_Gaffer_Tape_2.html>

I always remember the first time I used gaffer's tape at a wedding
reception hall.  The only access to a power outlet to run the studio
lights required crossing in front of the main double entry doors.
Consequently I had to tape the power cord to the floor to assure that
the guests wouldn't trip over the cord.  When the maintenance man saw
what I was doing he became very agitated.  He insisted that I cease and
desist because he wasn't about to spend a lot of time cleaning up duct
tape residue from his nice clean floor.  It took me a while (including a
demonstration on a painted wood surface as well as the floor) to assure
him that there would be no residue left behind.

Actually, I think Wiki is wrong.  I just looked up "Gaffa Tape" and see
that it is a UK brand name with a price of less than GBP 5 for 50
meters.  That price puts in more in line with "duct" tape in the US.

Never mind,
Chuck Norcutt