Re: [OM] Scanner DOF

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanner DOF
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:57:42 -0400
I'm really not sure I understand the question since I don't understand
it in terms of DOF.  Some flat bed scanners have a very great DOF of
maybe 6mm or more from the surface of the glass which is great for
scanning 3D objects.  Others, not so much.  So, the DOF is what it is
and you won't be able to change it.  It's not as though you can alter it
by changing aperture or anything else except that some scanners can
alter focus distance.  So with the right scanner it might be possible to
do multiple scans and blend the layers.  But I don't know if scanners
can really change focus distance enough to make that practical.

But what I read into your question is something different.  It sounds
more like you're asking what scanning resolution you should use to
maintain a good life-size replica of whatever you're scanning.  For
example, you want to scan a pencil which is 15cm long and print it on
paper at 15cm while having it look nearly as sharp as the real thing
when viewed from a distance of about 25cm.  A resolution of 300 ppi
should be adequate for all but Moose.  If you want to please even Moose
go to 600.  Even he can't see better than that.  :-)  But remember to
sharpen the final image at print size before printing.

Dr. Focus