Re: [OM] Resolution? Which resolution? [was Value for money?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Resolution? Which resolution? [was Value for money?]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 07:16:03 -0400
What you say is certainly true for low end P&S cameras.  However, the
high end stuff and DSLRs still require a competitive advantage and you
can't outsource competitive inventing.  If you could the E-P1's contrast
detect autofocus would be equal to or better than the Panasonic DMC-G1
and the E1 would have had much better noise levels and much faster
autofocus.  As to Sigma, I think they have a history of trying to stay
in-house.  Where Tamron and Tokina paid the license fees Sigma tried to
reverse engineer Canon autofocus.  They eventually got it right but it
took a while and they and the customers paid a price.

Chuck Norcutt