Re: [OM] 50 - 200 / 2.8 - 3.5 Olympus zoom lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 50 - 200 / 2.8 - 3.5 Olympus zoom lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:26:32 -0700
John Hudson wrote:
> Has anyone experienced the loss of the auto focus feature on this lens ?

> Might there be an easy solution or does it sound as if the lens needs to
> visit an Olympus repair facility?

I can't speak specifically to Oly or that lens, but have experienced a
similar problem with another brand. First thing to do anytime an AF lens
stops functioning normally is to clean the contacts on the rear that
communicate with the body.

Don't just look at 'em, wipe 'em. Thin films of oil or corrosion that
aren't apparent to the eye can still make for poor contact. Even though
other lenses work on the body, I would also clean those contacts.

Since I've only had such a problem on my Canons maybe once a year or
less, and always in the field, I've never used any technique other than
a quick wipe with a shirttail. Each time, I've thought I'd later clean
properly, whatever that means, but with function instantly restored,
I've never remembered to do so and it's been months or years before
another incident.

My latest bag has an attached microfiber cleaning cloth, so I might use
that next time.

Moose