[OM] Hi Res film scans on a CD

Subject: [OM] Hi Res film scans on a CD
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:48:04 -0400
I've been seeing some comments (not here) about the availability of
inexpensive hi res film scans on a CD from Wal-Mart, Costco and other
stores which do film processing.  But I haven't been able to locate same
on the web except for North Coast Photographic Services
<http://www.northcoastphoto.com/> which was mentioned in an article by
Ken Rockwell which he titled "Free Full Frame Digital SLR" (in other
words, buy some high quality but cheap film gear and get hi-res scans)
<http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/free-digital-camera.htm>

NCPS offers this PDF fact sheet
<http://www.northcoastphoto.com/Ken_Rockwell_Scans.pdf>  At $11.95/roll
the 16MP scans aren't particularly cheap although the 6MP scans at $5.49
aren't too bad.

But I continue to be told that certain Wal-Mart and Costco stores offer
hi-res scans and processing for less than $5/roll.  but from looking
on-line you can't even determine that these folks process film.  Can
anyone here validate this stuff or identify any other inexpensive
sources.  I do have a scanner but I consider scanning the thing to do as
a last resort.

Chuck Norcutt