[OM] More 180's

Subject: [OM] More 180's
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:09:04 -0400
Well my favorite 180 for now which I have been pursuing w/o any luck is
the Cosina Voigtlander 180 f4 for OM.  It is very Zuikoish and very
small for the FL with a 49mm front element--perfect.  It is VERY sharp
wide open and goes to 1:4.  I had hoped with a bit of extension to get
it close to 1:2 with good performance.  I have read that slower lenses
in general don't accumulate as many aberrations with extension in
general, but I 've not seen that confrimed.  The bokeh is wonderful as
is virtually the whole series.  I bet Oly would have made one if they
had continued the series.  I can't find one in OM mount for love nor
money.
The Malyasian dealer that helped me locate Big foot (CV125/2.5 in OM)
says there may be some-- largely iin Japan.  Many of the used stores
don't deal with overseas shipments and the auction sites often do not
as well.  I suppose I can't really expect lightening to strike twice.
That was an amazing bit of luck.  I didn't feel so lucky yesterday
having a failed root canal fixed by another endodontist for another
1500 bucks.

I am told a couple list members used software to monitor yabe for OM
gear.  Richard or Mark????  Perhaps it can be used to monitor the
Japanese auction sites?   I sent out a few inquiries in English or
Babble Fish or google tranlated into Japnese ("Hail Mary passes")   One
response after translating
basically said that they  didn't have a clue what I was asking.  Better
not negotiate any nuclear treaties using Babblefish.  Any leads or help
with this VERY much appreciated.
There is a way to have a Japanese proxy take care of the shipping etc
for 15%.  Not sure why they don't want any overseas business.
Http://photojpn.org

Jeff has showed some nice shots/performance with the Viv S1 90-180 f4.5
in OM mount. It directly goes 1:2 and is optimized for about 1:10.
It is nice but much larger than the CV.  Would have to leave something
significant out of the bag for travel.  It is a potential bird in the
hand, however and a very cool lens.

The Z. 180 f2 focuses to 1.6m and the Canyon  200 to 1.5m  (1:5?)
Can't find the MTF for Z 180 f2 on photodo  but the Gary Reese site
shows super performance.

CV 180 F4 apo lanthar
http://tinyurl.com/mrparm

Canyon 200 f2.8---not on FF however for either.  There are probably a
trillion reviews of this one.
http://tinyurl.com/nmbg9k

A Searching Mike