Re: [OM] Canon vs. Oly teles, et al

Subject: Re: [OM] Canon vs. Oly teles, et al
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 20:13:05 -0700
Looking at Canon's published MTF curves, it's hard to see that the 200/2.8
has any advantage over Canon's 70-200/4 other than one stop on the aperture.

The MTF of the 200/2 falls off a cliff at the edge (max open aperture?) but
otherwise looks good.

I haven't seen either the 200/2.8 or 200/2 but the Zuiko 180/2 puts the
Canon 300/4 L to shame for the aesthetics of the lens itself.

The Zuiko 180/2 was clearly meant to be tripod mounted with its permanently
attached tripod foot. Yet the focal length is too short for most wildlife.
So where does it fit with high ISO digital cameras? Perhaps portraits and
landscapes which for most photographers don't really need AF. I don't find
either of the Canon 200mm L prime lenses particularly compelling. The zoom
would seem to be more useful, but I can't imagine I would trade a Zuiko
180/2 for a Canon 70-200/4 zoom.

Jeff Keller