Re: [OM] IMG: More Warsaw

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Warsaw
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:55:56 -0700
Occasionally, this list makes me feel like I'm back at school or work.
Let my eye off the ball for a moment and I'm way behind on viewing all
the images posted.

As usual, your images form a good travel log of interesting places and
subjects. Usually, I desist from looking at the images as anything more
than quality snaps. Sometimes, though, there are technical issues that
jump out at me, especially on images that I think can stand on their own
as quality images separate from the travel or blog context.

I've posted some alternate presentations of a few from this set.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman>

1. Nothing really wrong, but it seems very flat and a bit dark. Perhaps
the esposure was fooled by the bright sky.

2. A classic image, beautifully accomplished. But the barrel distortion
makes the wall bulge forward, which detracts from it to my eye. I don't
know if the correction I made is quite right, as I didn't know what lens
was used.

Whatever otherwise perfrct lens you are using, it has enough barrel
distortion to be obvious to me on architectural subjects.

3. I've never seen a headstone anything like this, a work of art. To me,
the bright background and busy, slightly edgy bokeh pull my attention
from the primary subject.

4. I thought the colors and textures on the underside of the balcony
deserved to be the star of the show. In the process, the front of the
newer facade above gained less of an ovverexposed look. Although not
importnat here, the barrel distortion is again noticeable.

5. OK, no particular excuse; it just looked drab to me for such a pretty
scene. :-)

6. I added a little pop, reduced the bulge (really strong here) and
straightened the perspective.

7. I perked it up a little, then looked for the stronger composition I
thought might be there.

8. Nothing special, but I thought the big, white wall fooled the camera
into underexposure.

9. A very nice shot with tonal subtlties and textures lost in a haze.

10. Pretty subtle for the Moose.

11. I love surface textures, so I brought them out. If that's too much
on the concrete, try the second alternate.

Moose

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Last week ..
> In many ways, I think I like the pictures from this day better than the ones
> from the previous four-day trip.

Me too.