Re: [OM] ( OM ) nearly, or not quite

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) nearly, or not quite
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 07:16:49 -0400
I do carry hard copy manuals for both digital cameras in the camera bag
for use in the field.  But both the desktop and laptop computers also
have the manuals in PDF form.  That's much better than the hard copy if
you're searching for something obscure or might be covered in several
places since the manuals generally have lousy indexes.  But you do have
to learn the language of the camera to be effective at searching. For
example, Olympus uses the terms "record mode" and "recording formats"
when discussing image resolution and JPEG compression levels.  Canon
says "image settings" and "image recording quality".  Minolta says
"recording menu" and "image size and image quality".  Eventually you
learn that a PDF search on "record" might get you everything you're
looking for but "quality" might not.

Chuck Norcutt