Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 19

Subject: Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 19
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:14:51 -0700
Thanks to all who commented!

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Excellent catch! It looks like anything longer than 17mm wouldn't have cut
> the mustard.

17mm comes nowhere close. The image is cobbled together from two 17mm
shots, with about 25% overlap. With the narrow aisle, I thought classic
panorama shooting would mean huge perspective effects on the ends. So I
walked to shoot perpendicularly from different spots to cover the
locomotive.

The girl was only there for one shot, and in the overlap area, so I
could include her or not. If one looks closely, there are some odd
effects as the angle from which it is seen is different, but I was
largely able to minimize them. Biggest challenge is the lighting,
ranging from outdoor light through a big window on the front to
relatively dim incandescent at the back. The museum lighting in general
is effective for visiting and really poor for casual photography.

At that, I didn't quite get all the rear steam cylinders, let alone the
enormous tender. The whole thing is about 124' long in a quite narrow
alcove. I didn't bother with the tender, pretty featureless and boring
to a non-train person.

> The little girl is no doubt studying the details of the highly unusual 12
> drive wheel arrangement combined with high and low pressure cylinders.  :-)

Good try. Actually, 16 driven wheels in two groups of 8 and no
secondary, low pressure cylinders.

> I've never previously heard of a "cab forward" engine but this is one of
> them.

Pretty much unique to the SP and its relatively unique circumstances.
Explained nicely here. <http://www.steamlocomotive.com/cabforward/>

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The image was from Moose who's in Berkeley.  Southern Pacific Railroad Engine
> No. 4294 is in the California State Railroad Museum in "Old Sacramento" (the
> historic region).

Got it in one! Since I had not been on a mainline railroad in the US
since I was under two, I thought it would be fun to take the Amtrak to
Sacramento and visit Old Town, which we'd never seen. Two people, round
trip, one with senior discount, was $89! Availability of parking at the
Berkeley "station", which is simply a stretch of track where the train
stops, seemed problematic, and reports of delays were worrisome. So we
drove up and back through the scenic Sacramento River delta on maybe
$20-25 of gas.

Lovely day trip. Funny thing is that Carol was more interested in
visiting the Railroad Museum than I. Her interest was mostly in the
private, dining and sleeper cars, though.

Moose