Re: [OM] In Memory ...

Subject: Re: [OM] In Memory ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:09:09 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> But what's the advantage over the Manfrotto?
> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554141-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_323_323_RC2_System_Quick.html>

1. The Velbon receiver/plate combo weighs 60g, the Manfrotto, 168g. I
can't find any published dimensions, but as the weight difference
implies, it looks like the Manfrotto is quite a bit larger. I'm pretty
sure the shop also carried the Manfrotto, at least the plates, as they
fit several things. I'd have probably noticed if it were comparable.

2. I'm not much impressed with the small Manfrotto ball heads, heavy,
roughly finished and rough operating relative to others.

Conversely, I've been impressed with the light weight, fine finish and
smooth operation of the small Velbon heads. I'd never heard of them
until I went to look at other heads I'd decided were worth a look. In
hand, the Velbon won, came home and has pleased me.

Sooo, I prefer the Velbon heads with built-in QR receiver for the QRA-3
plate.  In both brands, there is a considerable bulk, weight and cost
advantage to heads with built-in QR. I'm very happy with the QHD-41Q
head I have on the Trek GO and would buy a QHD-51Q in a heartbeat if I
need a heavier ball head. As it is, I have a QRA-3 adapter on top of the
QR plate on the Manfrotto gear head for my most used tripod.

Moose